Sunday, April 1, 2007

Why the seeds aren't starting

When you start plants from seed, everything revolves around "last frost"--the date at your location after which it is unlikely to frost. Most tender little plants don't like frost so you don't subject them to it. In Seattle, April 15 is considered to be last frost. A seed packet with instructions for indoor planting will provide an indication of how long before last frost that seed type should be started, taking into account its germination time. This can be 2, 4, 8 weeks, or longer.

I'm now within 2 weeks of last frost and don't have any seeds started. My free time is a bit tough to come by, what with a 2-year old and an infant (and a wife--don't forget the wife). For lack of a better location I've had to prepare a spot under my house to do seed starting and it took a fair bit of research to discover and obtain the materials (not to mention the seeds) I'd need.

Every project I embark upon (not just in gardening) takes longer than I think it will. I don't apologize for my optimism (I think it's a great quality), but I do acknowledge it often turning out to indeed have been optimistic. Today I thought I'd be planting my first seeds, finally. I've got tables constructed and a watering/heating system and tons of seeds and everything else I need. Unfortunately final assembly this afternoon revealed a design flaw in my watering system and it made a mess. Rejiggering it caused a leak and now I've got to glue up some pieces and let them dry for 24 hours. Hopefully by tomorrow night we'll be in business.

Also, now that everything's constructed hopefully there will be more time to post updates. I've got to catch you up on the plan and what I've learned so far...

No comments: